Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The First Hundred Things

Pictured here are the first One Hundred Things that are going out my door this week to the thrift shop. I've decided that I'm finished having garage sales and doing flea markets .

And so now I must get rid of My Stock (as I mentally refer to it) before my resolve crumbles.

I know it's worth money because, as I've often said, I've been nickel-and-diming my way to fortune for eight years now. I look at an old toy and see fifty cents, a vase might be a dollar. The reality is that over time I might glean several hundred dollars from the boxes upon boxes in the basement and garage. I see the potential in junk.

But I've come (at least temporarily) to the conclusion that it's all too much mess. It's too much trouble. It's too much stuff. I'd rather not have sale after sale and spend all day in the driveway flogging all this stuff.

Very little of it has emotional value to me, none of it is valuable as an individual item. I'd be very surprised if any savvy garage-sale shopper would pay me more than two dollars for anything I have on offer.

But I have so MUCH!

I mean, how many items are down there in those boxes? Hundreds? Thousands?

I look at these four photographs of one hundred items that have been stagnating in my basement and it doesn't really look like that much. Now I'm curious....do I have ten thousand things to get rid of? I think it's possible.








No comments: