Monday, October 8, 2007

Free Box


"Can I really have this?", said my friend Kim, her eyes lighting up. "I've been looking for one of these!"
It was an old green ginger jar, an antique Kim said knowledgably. She'd seen one for fifteen dollars recently and had regretted not buying it.
I admitted I had no idea what it was, only that it had ended up in my flea market box somewhere along the way.
She asked me if I still wanted to give it away, knowing it had some value.
Oh yes. Happily.
I had brought a random Free Box up from the basement and placed it on the kitchen floor for my friend to go through. Out of it she chose:
A camera lens, a pomander, a gargoye for her garden, a baby shawl, a small blue and white cream and sugar set from Holland (I think it used to belong to my friend Pol), a set of Phonics flash cards, a brass bottle-opener shaped like a seahorse, and the ginger jar of course.
Some of the stuff from my flea market stuff feels just too nice to give away to the thrift store, without at least trying to inflict it (in a nice way)on my friends first. :)
3178 things begone!

3 comments:

Pol* said...

Ginger Jar, and Creamer/Sugar Bowl from Holland were from me yes.

I felt bad giving them away as they were brought back from Holland just for me.... I just never used them, y'know?

As for the Ginger Jar, I liked it, I used it for dried bits, I was just tired of it I suppose.

Tai said...

HI! Just dropped by to check on your progress.

I don't think I even HAVE 10,000 items to call my own. (and of course, books are not included in that number in my head)

alison said...

Hello Vanne,
Well done, I love your blog! I am so impressed by all that you have let go. How does it feel? Any regrets? I love the idea of having a free box on the go at all times; and it sounds like your friend saved you a trip to the thrift store by taking some of the items. Keep up the great work!
Alison Roberts, www.clearoutclutter.com